03.02 Determining Themes Instructions
Using complete sentences, answer the following questions about the themes in “The Cask of Amontillado”:
1. How does the author want the reader to feel while reading “The Cask of Amontillado”? What evidence from the story supports your claim?
2. What techniques does the author use to help you visualize the place, the people, and the events that are taking place within the story? Cite specific evidence from the text to support your answer.
3. How has the author described the characters to make them seem like real people? Identify specific quotes from the text that reflect this.
4. Does the author expect the reader to make an emotional connection to the story? Explain your answer by making specific references to the text.
5. Think back to the events that take place in “The Cask of Amontillado,” and think about the attitudes and actions of the characters. Now, write a theme statement for “The Cask of Amontillado.” Your theme statement must be original, and you must justify it using examples from the text.