Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and High Yield Explosives (CBRNE) Analysis
As you read Chapter 9 and you look at CBRNE terrorist threats, build yourself a simple chart for a known terrorist group today – across the top list the five categories – Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives. You may add another type attack if you want to address another capability of the group selected such as small arms or hostage taking. Then, down one side, list availability of components, training required, portability of the device, employability, expertise to develop, and psychological impact. You may incorporate additional categories. Once you build your chart, assign red, yellow, green to each box; green for “not likely,” yellow for “unknown,” and red for “highly likely.” Do not use any classified or “for official use only” (FOUO) sources.
For this interactive assignment you will identify one terrorist organization to demonstrate your understanding of the organization through both a discussion and a document which depicts the tactics, techniques, and capabilities of your chosen terrorist organization. Based on your analysis, which type of attack would be the most likely to be carried out by terrorists today in your city (Miami, Florida). Which the least likely?
The initial post must contain the following elements:
- The terrorist organization name
- The organization’s location
- Describe their primary means of attack as well as their primary and secondary targets.
- Evaluate the organization’s effectiveness in meeting their objectives.
Your initial post must be at least 250 words in length. Support your post with examples from required material(s) and/or other sources or official government websites. Use APA formatting to cite your sources in-text as well as at the end of your post.
In addition to your initial discussion post, create a document that depicts the tactics, techniques, and capabilities of your chosen international terrorist organization. The document must be uploaded with your initial post. You must use the provided template. Your goal in creating the document is to succinctly demonstrate your understanding of the international terrorist organization. A sample document has been provided for your convenience. In addition, you may wish to access the provided Quick Start Guide on how to add colors to a table cell.
The document must contain the following elements:
- The chosen terrorist organization name
- The organization’s location
- A table which contains the following columns:
- Attack Mode: Tactics, Techniques, and Capabilities: Across the top axis list various types of attack modes such as Firearms, IED/Suicide Bombs, Biological, Radiological, Chemical, Hostage Taking, Cyber Attacks or another tactic not previously listed.
- Evidence: In each box, list evidence of such tactics and techniques, including actual attacks carried out by the specific international terrorist group. Include between seven and ten pieces of evidence.
- Color code each “Attack Mode” box with the following designations:
- Red: Demonstrated an attack and a capability, and has the resources to carry out a future attack
- Orange: Elements are present for testing of an attack mode. Has the knowledge and availability of resources
- Yellow: Terrorist group is missing at least one or more elements, i.e., knowledge, capability, or availability of resources to carry out an attack
- Green: Does not have at least two of the following three elements: the knowledge, capability, or availability of resources to carry out a specific type of attack For your convenience, access the provided Microsoft Word Quick Start Guide on how to insert colors into tables.
- References: In the bottom row, include the sources you consulted for each piece of evidence you cite. Attach the document to your initial post, and submit it to the forum.