Choose a film, television program or song; TV or print or Internet advertisement. Please note that the main purpose of this assignment is to use the Cultural Studies theories we are studying as tools to analyze your selection. Read a more detailed explanation of how to approach this paper
Remember, the tools of cultural studies are in the Campbell text (chap. 15) p. 496-500 and include textual analysis, audience studies and political economy studies.
I also discussed them in the Week 6 discussion slides
To develop your paper, please keep the following in mind:
- The body of your paper should include a brief description of the content of your selection. Please do NOT write a critical “review” judging the quality of your chosen media example. Focus on the parts of the content that are relevant to your thesis.
- The body of your paper should apply the various theories of Cultural Studies to thoroughly analyze the meaning and messages in your selection. Cite the source of the theories (Campbell, etc.) that you apply in your paper using in-text citations and a properly formatted Works Cited page. (See Diana Hacker for formatting guidance in MLA style.)
- Be sure to write an appropriate introductory paragraph. (The last 1-2 sentences should clearly state your THESIS–the central idea of your paper, generally a statement of your stand on a debatable issue. The rest of your paper should specifically provide support for your thesis.)
- Write a concluding paragraph that summarizes and reiterates how your paper has demonstrated your thesis.
- Your paper should use specific examples from the Cultural Studies articles, our online discussion and other academic references you find, as well as from your selected media to support your views.
- Use the MLA stylebook for guidance on including internal citations and a works cited page.
- The paper should be 5 pages plus a Works Cited page. No cover pages, please.
Feel free to use this assignment as a building block for your term paper. Please message me through the WorldClassRoom Inbox with any questions you have about the term paper.