Pick any three (3) questions from page 2 to answer.
Submit your TYPEWRITTEN answers by email.
Late submitting will earn a zero “0.” No exceptions; No excuses will be accepted.
You may utilize the following resources ONLY to prepare your answers:
o Your brain
o Your own notes
o Your journal entries
o PowerPoint presentations that I posted on Blackboard for this course
Clear, concise, well-written answers are expected. Proofreading is highly recommended.
Try to limit each answer to 1 and 1/2 page (500 words) in length, if possible. I understand that a book could be written as an answer to each question – that is not the point of this exercise. Extra points will NOT be awarded for length alone.
Best answers will demonstrate the ability to identify and apply relevant “textbook” knowledge to circumstances within an organization and within your own experience, use of examples and solutions not found in the textbook, and the ability to analyze.
Include the Pledge on your work: “I have neither given nor received any unauthorized aid.”
Pick any three (3) questions:
1. Discuss the concept of emotional intelligence (EI). Define EI. Identify Goleman’s five dimensions of EI. Relate EI to work/organizations, using examples. Discuss the role of EI in effective leadership.
2. Discuss organizational commitment. Define organizational commitment. Identify and analyze the ways we can feel committed to an employer, a manager, and to a leader. Are they the same? Discuss how a leader can rally the commitment of his or her followers. Examples, positive and negative.
3. Discuss perception. Define perception. Describe and analyze two basic perceptual processes. Explain how they affect behavior in organizations. Discuss the role of perception from a leader’s perspective and from a follower’s perspective.
4. Discuss diversity. Define diversity. Why is diversity in the workplace important, or isn’t it important? Why is managing diversity in the workforce difficult, or isn’t it difficult? Discuss how a leader can actively break down the barriers to inclusion and forward the quest for integration.
5. Discuss motivation and rewards. Define motivation. Discuss how Maslow’s five levels of needs relate to motivation. How do they relate to each other? Is escalation to the next level a reward? Why or why not? Define reward. Discuss the surface and symbolic value of rewards. What is a truly valuable reward? Discuss the role of a leader in identifying and fulfilling needs, identifying and cultivating motivation, and creating a reward system for his or her followers.