General Studies 420: Disability & Society
History of Disability
For this assignment you are required to write a paper exploring the history of developmental disabilities using the website:
“Parallels in Time: A History of Developmental Disabilities” http://mn.gov/mnddc/parallels/index.html.
You must read these 3 topics/time periods:
- The Ancient Era 1500 BC – 475 AD
- The Middle Ages, Renaissance, & Reformation 475 AD – 1500 AD
- 17th and 18th Centuries
Your written response should include the following entitled sections:
- The Ancient Era – minimum 250-word summary
- The Middle Ages, Renaissance, & Reformation – minimum 250-word summary
- 17th & 18th Centuries – minimum 250-word summary
- Personal Response – minimum 250-word response addressing what you learned and how you felt learning about the treatment and history of people with developmental disabilities
- How This Relates to GS 420 – minimum 250-word response addressing how the readings relate to the content of this course as covered so far
Each section is worth 2 points for a total of 10 points.
Formatting your paper:
- Heading: Name (Last, First), Date,GS 420 Section # (1 or 2), RED ID
- Times New Roman, Size 12 font
- 1.0 Margins
- Indent first sentence of each paragraph
- Title for each section
- Be sure to use appropriate, respectful language throughout your paper. Refer to Disability-Related Language Standards on Blackboard.
Failure to follow correct formatting instructions may result in points loss.