- If you are not a citizen of the U.S. interview, in person, a U.S citizen and in person, a person from another continent.
- The person that is not from the U.S. should not be from the same continent as you.For example, a person from China should not interview a person from Korea, but rather a person from a South American country or a person from an African country or a person from Europe or a person from the Middle East.
- The questions you are required to ask are listed below.You may also ask additional questions assuming the questions are related to understanding the other person’s culture. In the paper you are to compare and contrast the culture of each person as well as to compare and contrast the two people you are interviewing with yourself.
- You are required to use the following web site in your comparison of the three cultures.http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/
- This website automatically compares various statistics for another country against the U.S.Those from a country other than the U.S. can enter the name of their country so the comparison occurs with their home country.Use information from this website to help explain and compare the culture of the people being interviewed.
- In person means “face to face”.Use of email, texting, Skype, Facetime or similar electronic methods for the interviews are not acceptable for this assignment.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS INTERVIEWING SOMEONE FROM THE U.S.List these questions in your paper along with the answers given.
(Interview, in person, a person that is a U.S. citizen.Remember you also will need to interview a person that is not a U.S. citizen who is from a location that is not from your geographic area.)
- Have you ever traveled to another country?
- If so where have you traveled?
- I’m from _________________ (country). What do you know about my country?
- How have you learned about my country? (News, movies, class, other people you know?)
- What is your impression of the people from my country?
- I have wondered why people do this ____________________________ in the U.S.Can you explain to me why people do this that way?
- How often do you communicate with your family?
- What food would you say is most representative of U.S. culture?
- Do you ever interact (hang out) with people from other cultures?How is that different for you than interacting with people from your culture?
- Is there anything you would like to share that is relevant to this paper?
HOW THIS PAPER WILL BE GRADED
Paper format: (5 points will be subtracted for each deviation from the required paper format.)
- At least 6 full pages in length.(More than 6 pages are permitted.)
- Only your name and student ID number at the top of the paper.
- No more than 2 spaces between your name and the beginning of the paper.
3.Arial font, 12 point,
4. Double spaced,
6. No greater than 1 inch margins on the sides, top and bottom of the paper.
Content of the paper:
- Did you list the required questions and answers in the paper?
- Did you compare and contrast the two individuals being interviewed as well as comparing those individuals with you using the website?
- Explain your interactions and what you’ve learned.
- Describe your thoughts regarding the interactions.
- Has the interaction changed the way you consider other cultures?
Grading of the paper:
- Is the paper in the required format? Points will be deducted if the format is incorrect.
- Did you interview persons meeting the criteria outlined in the syllabus?Points will be deducted if you did not interview in person an individual that met the stated criteria.
- Did you utilize the questions in the syllabus?Points will be deducted if you did not ask the questions required in the syllabus. (Minus 5 points for each question missed.)
- Did you use the website http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/to help make your comparison between yourself and the two people being interviewed?Points will be deducted if you did not use this website and make the comparisons. (Minus 10 to 20 points if the web site was not used or was used in a limited fashion. A limited fashion would be one statistical reference. Three or more references should be used for each person interviewed.)
- Did you express your opinion and thoughts about the interactions?(What did you think?) It is very important to share what you thought about this exercise.Points will be deducted if you do not share an opinion. (Minus 5 points if no expression of opinion.)
- Late papers will receive a reduced grade. (Minus 5 points for each day late.)
- The paper should include an introductory paragraph, the body of your paper and a concluding paragraph. (Minus 5 points if the introductory or concluding paragraph is missing.)