Students will surf the internet for a news article of a criminal event that can be applied to one of the main theories discussed in class from chapters, 2, 3 or 4 of the text (Pre-classical school, classical school, Chicago school). Students will then write a 1-2 -page analysis on the selected article. The analysis should include:
- A brief synopsis of the events of the article.
- This is where you will briefly summarize the events in the article
- Theory application:
- Which theory can best explain the criminal behavior in the article
- Be sure to explain the premise (main argument) of the theory (this is where you will demonstrate your full understanding of the theory).
- How does the theory relate to the article you select?
- This is where you will demonstrate your ability to apply the theory to a real-life event.
- Policy implication
- Given your knowledge of the incident and your understanding of the applied theory, how would you deter the offender and/or others from committing similar crimes or deviant acts (e.g. what crime control policies and/or programs would you implement to prevent the crime from occurring)?