Every day, police officers are tasked with unique and expanding duties. Officers are often tasked with settling disputes between domestic partners or between children and parents. An additional and more frequently requested task is for officers to communicate or assist with individuals on crisis interventions, which may occur with individuals that have mental illnesses. As law enforcement officers, we must be prepared in any circumstance to utilize use of force.
Your initial post should answer the following questions:
- How may a situation involving an individual with a mental illness change your interaction and your use of force criteria?
- What considerations do you have to take into account when responding to a crisis intervention?
- Does the ADA affect any of your actions?
- What liabilities and responsibilities do you have in these circumstances?
- What is the Agency’s responsibility and liabilities?
In your reply, please make a response providing a counter opinion to a peer’s initial post. Provide support for your countering opinion. Compare and contrast your answers and provide support for what considerations you feel are most important.
Due dates for your initial and response posts can be found by checking the Course Syllabus and Course Calendar.