ENGLISH 4 : MODULE 01 :
You have explored Emerson’s concept of heroism in this lesson. How do his ideas align with the notes you took while reading Beowulf? Do you think Emerson would have called Beowulf a hero? Do you think Emerson’s hero could slay a monster like Grendel?
For this assignment, you will use supporting evidence from Beowulf, Emerson’s “Heroism,” and your notes to answer one of these questions in an 8-10 sentence essay:
- Would Emerson consider Beowulf a hero? Look at his description of heroism in the excerpts you’ve read to determine your answer. Use theOption A Writing Organizer to collect your thoughts before writing.
- What characteristics from Emerson’s “Heroism” are most necessary for defeating a monster like Grendel? Use the Option B Writing Organizerto collect your thoughts before writing.
You can revisit previous lessons or use these links to reference the excerpts you’ve previously read:
- Excerpt 1: Grendel
- Excerpt 2: Beowulf
- Excerpt 3: Grendel Arrives
- Excerpt 4: The Battle Begins
- Excerpt 5: Conclusion of the Battle
- Excerpt 6: Emerson’s “Heroism”
Be sure to use summarizing, paraphrasing, and properly punctuated direct quotations to support your ideas.
Your essay will be evaluated using the Concept Synthesis: Exploring the Hero rubric
- Complete the reading for this lesson.
- Complete the self-checks in the lesson.
- Use the writing organizer for the essay option you chose to plan your response.
- In the Assessments area, submit your completed essay for 01.03 Concept Synthesis: Exploring the Hero.