For this paper assignment, you are to analyze a recent bill passed by the Florida State legislature. CHOOSE ONE
- HB 1557, Parental Rights in Education Law, “To Protect Parental Rights in Education.”
- SB 898, Miya’s Law, “To Strengthen Renter’s Safety.”
- SB 524, Election Administration Law, “To Florida’s Election Integrity.”
- HB 7, Individual Freedom Act, “To Protect Floridians from Discrimination and Woke Indoctrination.”
- HB 1, Combating Public Disorder Act, “Florida Anti-Riot Act.”
- HB 1421, School Safety Act, “To Improve School Safety in Florida.”
You should consider a variety of things in your paper. What is the “historical” background for the law? What specific event or events led to the idea for this legislation? ? Do other states have similar laws? What groups support/oppose this legislation? Explain their positions. What is the media saying about the law? Does the bill address a specific problem/issue? Explain. Lastly, in your opinion will the law be effective in solving the problem/issue at hand? What are experts saying?
- The written assignment should be at least 2000 words (as determined by Microsoft Word), NOT including titles and work cited. This is a minimum grade count, so PAPERS UNDER 2000 WORDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AND WILL RECEIVE A GRADE OF ZERO.
- You should have a minimum of 5 sources that represent a variety of perspective and types. At least one source should be a non-internet source. Be sure that you do not use an encyclopedia (online or otherwise) and never cite wikipedia! Also you can use either (MLA, APA, or Chicago Style) just be consistent.
- Of course, you should have in body citations. Thus, you should reference your sources in the body of your paper with either a footnote or ( ).
- Quotes and paraphrases are acceptable if cited correctly. However, YOU are supposed to write the paper not compile quotes and paraphrases. The computer will provide you with a “Turn it in” report. This report compares your paper to all electronic sources and the internet and will tell you what percent of your paper is quoted or paraphrased. Any paper that receives a score of over 25% will be penalized and any paper with a similarity score over 50% will NOT be accepted for a grade.
- Finally, your paper must be submitted in Microsoft Word or as a PDF. YOU CANNOT SUBMIT A .PAGES FILE.
- Late papers will be accepted with a 20% per day penalty.
It is your responsibility to attach the paper correctly and incorrectly attaching a file (or not attaching a file) is not grounds for accepting an assignment without a late paper deduction.