Message Strategies: Negative Organizational Announcements [LO-6] As the U.S. economy continued to sag aft er receiving multiple blows from the housing and financial sectors, plant closures were a common tragedy across many industries. Shaw Industries, the world’s largest manufacturer of carpeting, was among those suppliers to the housing industry that suff ered as fewer houses were built or remodeled
Your task: Write a brief message for Shaw’s corporate blog, covering the following points:
● With more than $5 billion in annual sales, Shaw Industries is the world’s number one carpet manufacturer.
● Shaw’s Milledgeville, Georgia, plant makes yarn used in the manufacture of carpeting.
● The continuing struggles in the new-housing market and the inability of many current homeowners to afford remodeling projects have lowered demand for carpet. With less demand for carpet, the Milledgeville plant can no longer operate at a profi t.
● Shaw is forced to close the Milledgeville plant and lay off all 150 employees at the plant.
● The plant will close in three to four weeks from the current date.
● As openings become available in other Shaw facilities, the company hopes to be able to place some of the workers in those jobs.
● Georgia Labor Commissioner Michael Thurmond promised to help the affected employees. “The layoff at Shaw Industries in Milledgeville will create a diffi cult situation for the workers and their families, and I want them to know they’re not alone in dealing with this problem. Our staff will work closely with the laid-off workers, company officials, and local elected officials in determining how to best assist the aff ected employees.”
● Assistance to be provided by the State of Georgia includes career counseling, unemployment benefits, and job retraining.