Each student must write a brief essay (3-5 pages double spaced) that evaluates the #MeToo Movement using a global perspective and draft a resolution to the UN as outlined below. Each question is worth 3 points. One point will be given to mechanics and citation. Be sure to apply relevant sociological concepts in your answers.
Your essay should address the following questions:
1. Is this an example of a global social movement?
Why or Why not?
Pay particular attention to:
– social contexts in which the movement has received support (what do these
have in common, how are they different?)
– social location; the voices we hear AND importantly, the voices we don’t hear;
who benefits from these discussions, whose concerns are represented, whose
concerns are not?
2. Do you think the movement will have the power to make a difference in the world?
Use examples to explain why or why not. Be specific about claims and grievances
as they relate to movement goals and success.
3. Provide three suggestions to the [#MeTooorganizers/United Nations Women] who
hope to spark a global social movement?
From its inception in 2007, the #MeToo movement (with its founder Tarana Burke),hassought to promote justice for women and girls who were survivors of sexual abuse and assault. After the events in late 2017, and the tremendous response to #MeToo(particularly in western nations like the US), there is an emerging effort underway in the United Nations to transform the #MeToo moment into a global movement.
United Nations (UN) Women
You have been assigned the Contemporary Social Movements and Profound Change (CSMPC) sub-committee under the supervision of United Nations (UN) Women. UN Women wants to harness the spirit, as well as empower the grassroots networks and organization that have taken up the call for meaningful social change around issues affecting the lives of women and girls the world over.
You are tasked with the job of globalizing #MeToo. You will need to prepare a briefdraft document for a UN Resolution. This resolution will be brought before the General Assembly by UN Women. The goal of the draft resolution will be to capitalize on the momentum of #MeToo movement.
1. Your resolution should consider the experiences and circumstances of women and girls from all over the world. Make sure that your draft resolution connects with different groups in our global community. Although the #MeToo movement began in the United States, UN Women want their resolution to speak to social justice issues for all women, in all parts of the world (globalizing #MeToo).
2. Do you think the movement will have the power to make a difference in the world? Use examples to explain why or why not. Be specific about claims and grievances as they relate to movement goals and success.
3. Propose at least three realistic ways to broaden appeal of the #MeToomovement through media campaign, focusing on:
i) the movements reach (the global awareness of the movement and the
importance of the issues it is taking up);
ii) the relevance (the extent to which individual, groups, and communities in
various parts of the world see those issues as important to their everyday