3 page analysis of the leadership styles and characteristics of effective leaders, based on a leader you admire and on leadership approaches addressed in a provided illustration.
Becoming an effective leader is a very personal and individual experience. Each great leader carries out his or her leadership practices differently. Yet, several common leadership styles and characteristics of effective leaders have been identified through the study and theories of leadership.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate the purpose and relevance of leadership.
- Analyze leadership styles and characteristics to determine effective leadership.
- Compare individual leadership styles and characteristics to identify what is necessary for effective leadership.
- Competency 2: Evaluate how leadership strengths apply in the workplace and within the community.
- Analyze the environmental and societal factors that influence leadership style.
- Analyze the economic conditions that influence leadership style.
As you prepare to complete this assessment, you may want to think about other related issues to deepen your understanding or broaden your viewpoint. You are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community. Note that these questions are for your own development and exploration and do not need to be completed or submitted as part of your assessment.
- Which leader has had the most positive influence in your daily life?
- In what ways has this person contributed to your life?
The following resources are required to complete the assessment.
Click the link provided below to view the following multimedia piece:
- Leadership Styles and Characteristics | Transcript.
- This animation presents the qualities that are commonly associated with effective leadership.
The resources provided here are optional. You may use other resources of your choice to prepare for this assessment; however, you will need to ensure that they are appropriate, credible, and valid. The BUS-FP3012 – Fundamentals of Leadership Library Guide can help direct your research, and the Supplemental Resources and Research Resources, both linked from the left navigation menu in your courseroom, provide additional resources to help support you.
Capella University Library Resources
- Boehm, A., & Staples, L. (2005). Grassroots leadership in task-oriented groups: Learning from successful leaders. Social Work With Groups, 28(2), 77–96.
- Ngwa, C. M. (2012). Impact of strategic leadership styles on organizational success in public, private, and nonprofit organizations (Master’s thesis). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses database. (UMI No. 1514891)
- Matzler, K., Schwarz, E., Deutinger, N., & Harms, R. (2008). The relationship between transformational leadership, product innovation and performance in SMEs. Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship, 21(2), 139–151, 251.
These resources are available from the Capella University Bookstore:
- Kouzes, J. M., & Posner, B. Z. (2012). The leadership challenge: How to make extraordinary things happen in organizations (5th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Chapter 6, “Search for Opportunities,” pages 157–183.
- Chapter 7, “Experiment and Take Risks,” pages 185–211.
- Chapter 8, “Foster Collaboration,” pages 215–240.
- Rath, T., & Conchie, B. (2008). Strengths based leadership: Great leaders, teams, and why people follow. New York, NY: Gallup Press.
- “Part Three: Understanding Why People Follow,” pages 77–91.
- “Conclusion,” pages 93–95.
To prepare for this assessment:
- Review the Leadership Styles and Characteristics multimedia piece linked in the Resources.
- Select a leader you admire from a for-profit or non-profit organization you know well. This should be an organization where you might aspire to become a leader yourself. Examine and reflect on your chosen leader’s leadership styles and characteristics as defined in the multimedia piece.
Analyze the leadership styles and characteristics of effective leaders. In your assessment, address the following:
- Briefly describe the organization of the leader you selected and the type of products or service it provides. Include as much additional information as possible, such as size, years in business, location, and reputation.
- Analyze the leadership styles and characteristics of the leader whom you admire. In your analysis, explain how these leadership styles and characteristics can determine effective leadership.
- Compare your own leadership styles and characteristics to those of the leader you admire. Apply the terms from the Leadership Styles and Characteristics graphic in describing your own leadership approach. What type of leader do you see yourself to be? How does your comparison help identify what is necessary for effective leadership?
- Analyze how environmental and societal factors such as politics and innovation might influence your approach to leadership at this organization. How might these and other factors affect the way you lead? Would there be differences in your leadership style if this were a different type of organization?
- Analyze how economic conditions might influence your approach to leadership. Would your leadership style change during the time of a strong economy? Would your leadership style change during the time of a declining economy? Would your leadership style change if you were leading an organization through different maturation phases (including start-up, growth, and establishment)?
Format your assessment according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting guidelines, including a title page as well as a references page with APA-formatted citations. Include references from at least two scholarly sources. Your completed assessment should be 3–5 pages in length (page count excluding the title page and references).