Question: Does democratization promote peace and American security? Is the “democratic peace” a “law of politics” or an historical accident? Does the United States have a duty to protect democracy around the world? What role do procedural restraints and normative influences play in the “democratic peace?” As more countries become democratic, should we expect a decline in the incidence of war?
EITHER: Democratic Peace: If you believe in the democratic peace theory, explain why by posting a brief essay in this thread.
OR: Democratic Coincidence: If you do not believe in the democratic peace theory, explain why by posting a brief essay in this thread.
Required Readings and Sources:
Textbook: Perspectives on International Relations: Power, Institutions, and Ideas, 6th ed (Links to an external site.). — Henry R. Nau, Sage/CQ Press, 2018. ISBN: 978-1506396224.
Chapter 10: Critical Theory Perspectives on Globalization Inequality, Imperialism, and Injustice
***Associated Powerpoint is attached below for Chapter 10***
*******Need citations to outside sources, Answer the question FULLY, and refer to the textbook*******
(1) A clear introduction that addresses directly the question posed by the instructor;
(2) A body of factual examples that support your thesis; these examples may be drawn from either the assigned readings or footnoted sources researched independently by the student; Wikipedia is not an appropriate source for academic essays;
(3) A coherent paragraph structure that highlights your main points; and
(4) Appropriate citations for materials drawn from the works of others; plagiarized threads will be penalized.
(5) Should be approximately 600 words in length.