How does an advanced practice nurse determine the best treatment option or pharmacotherapeutic to recommend for patients with psychological disorders?
Much like assessing or recommending pharmacotherapeutics for other conditions or disorders, as an advanced practice nurse, you may encounter a patient who presents with a psychological disorder. Understanding the guiding principles related to treating patients with psychological disorders as well as the effects of pharmacotherapeutics on a patient’s overall health and well-being is critical for the safe and effective delivery of care.
This week, you examine types of drugs prescribed to patients with psychological disorders. You also examine potential impacts of pharmacotherapeutics used to treat psychological disorders on a patient’s pathophysiology.
- Evaluate patients for treatment of psychological disorders
- Analyze decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with psychological disorders
- Analyze impacts of pharmacotherapeutics for psychological disorders on patient pathophysiology
- Evaluate patients for treatment of neurological and musculoskeletal disorders
- Analyze decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurological and musculoskeletal disorders
- Justify decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurological and musculoskeletal disorders
Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2018). Lehne’s pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice providers. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Chapter 24, “Antipsychotic Agents and Their Use in Schizophrenia” (pp. 231–246)
- Chapter 25, “Antidepressants” (pp. 247–265)
- Chapter 26, “Drugs for Bipolar Disorder” (pp. 267–274)
- Chapter 27, “Sedative-Hypnotic Drugs” (pp. 275–285)
- Chapter 28, “Management of Anxiety Disorders” (pp. 287–292)
- Chapter 29, “Central Nervous System Stimulants and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder” (pp. 293–299)
Decision Making When Treating Psychological Disorders
Psychological disorders, such as depression, bipolar, and anxiety disorders can present several complications for patients of all ages. These disorders affect patients physically and emotionally, potentially impacting judgment, school and/or job performance, and relationships with family and friends. Since these disorders have many drastic effects on patients’ lives, it is important for advanced practice nurses to effectively manage patient care. With patient factors and medical history in mind, it is the advanced practice nurse’s responsibility to ensure the safe and effective diagnosis, treatment, and education of patients with psychological disorders.
For this assignment, you will select an interactive media piece to practice decision making when treating patients with psychological disorders. You will recommend the most effective pharmacotherapeutic to treat the psychological disorder presented and examine potential impacts of pharmacotherapeutics on a patient’s pathophysiology.
- Review this week’s interactive media pieces and select one to focus on for this Discussion.
- Reflect on the decision steps in the interactive media pieces, and consider the potential impacts from the administration of the associated pharmacotherapeutics on the patient’s pathophysiology.
Write a brief explanation of the psychological disorder presented and the decision steps you applied in completing the interactive media piece for the psychological disorder you selected. Then, explain how the administration of the associated pharmacotherapeutics you recommended may impact the patient’s pathophysiology. How might these potential impacts inform how you would suggest treatment plans for this patient? Be specific and provide examples.