working on your Research Project in WEEK 8, pacing your work throughout
the semester. There is no posting due in one of the term weeks in order
that you can use this time to catch up and specifically work on your
Project. The due date is specified in your syllabus. Submit your project
to the designated drop box by the Due Date. There is an example paper
provided, MLA/APA formatting examples provided, and In-text citation
examples provided under “Your Assignments.”
Your paper must meet 3 requirements in order to be accepted:
1. You must attain lower than 25% on your Turnitin plagiarism self-check
score prior to submitting. Papers rating above this mark cannot be
accepted. When you view your turn it in percentage score, click on the
percent to view your report. You will see highlighted areas of your
paper in need of further rewording.
2. You must have In-text Citations present in each paragraph wherein you
refer to any information you’ve read. One to four per paragraph is
common in research paper. Please refer to your success packet to learn
more about these. Your paper is not a life narrative. It is a
composition of reading scientific research on the topic. You must have
references to the work of those more knowledgeable than you on the
3. You must have a Works Cited section in which you list in APA or MLA style all the sources you used to write your paper.
It is important for you to find the relevance of psychology in your own
life and to deepen your understanding through evidence based research.
In order to facilitate these objectives, you will complete a term
project using research on a psychological disorder.
1. Choose a Psychological Disorder: You will select one of the
Psychological disorders (mental illness) listed in the Diagnostic
Statistics Manual, Fifth ed. (DSM V). You may also find listings
2. Locate Three Credible Sources:You will read information in your
textbook and select at least two other credible, scholarly sources for
you research papers. Wikipedia is not a credible source. Dot org and dot
edu domains are usually more credible than dot com domains.
3. Five Pages – Double spaced. Compose a 5 page paper (not 4 1/2
pages!) With appropriate headings, formatting, and a reference page. APA
or MLA style of formatting are accepted. With the reference page
included, you will submit six pages total. Do not forget to include
in-text citations. This is a must in order to avoid plagiarism.
4. Use the appropriate headings on the first page: List the course name,
your name, the title of your paper, the date, and the instructor’s
5. Add a Reference Page: Your finished paper will be 6 pages long with 5
pages of text body, and 1 final Reference page listing your three
6. Discuss as many of the following aspects as possible and on which you can find research:
a. An introductory paragraph including the definition of Psychological Disorders and a thesis statement.
a. Why you chose the disorder
b. the prevalence
c. How it is diagnosed: The symptoms including biological, social functioning, cognitive and emotional symptoms.
d. How it effects the social life and relationships of those afflicted.
e. The area of the brain and the neurotransmitters involved
f. treatments and helps available
g. where is research lacking on the disorder, what scientists still do not know (optional)
h. conclusion paragraph wrapping up your points and ideas.
8. MLA or APA format: