Visit the website Volcano World (http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/). Look through the volcanoes and select a North American volcano. For the volcano you selected, answer the following questions:
- Name the volcano you selected.
- State whether the volcano is a strato- or shield-volcano. Describe the appearance and other characteristics of that type of volcano (i.e. type of magma, structure, etc.). (2 marks)
- Using maps found in your textbook, choose the geologic setting of the volcano. Is the volcano located (i) along a ridge (i.e. divergent plate boundary), (ii) near a trench (i.e. convergent plate boundary) or (iii) in the middle of the plate away from a ridge or trench (i.e. hot spot)? Explain why the volcano should be located in that setting including the plates that are responsible for the formation of the volcano. (3 marks)
- Describe how a point bar and cut bank form and develop in a fluvial environment (4 marks)
- Explain (in your own words) the evolution from a meander to an oxbow lake (4 marks)