1. Would you expect evolutionary change to be more rapid on an island chain or on a large, flat continent? Why?
2. What are selective pressures, and how do they relate to natural selection?
3. Describe several types of adaptations a species might have that would allow it to survive in a dry environment, escape predation, or lower competition with another species.
4. What factors determine whether a species will adapt to change or whether the change will render it extinct?
5. How may evolution lead to the development of new species (speciation)?
6. What is plate tectonics, and how does this theory explain past movements of the continents?
7. How have past tectonic movements affected the present day distribution of plant and animal species on Earth’s surface?