SES 465 – Reflective Assignment #1
Due: Tuesday 1/22/18 before 9:30 am
Topic: Write about a sport or exercise related moment(s) (either playing a sport or watching the event/activity) that has encouraged you to study your current major at Barry University.
Instructions: Worth 50 points – Corrections and re-writing maybe required to earn a passing grade if the quality of the Reflective Writing Assignment falls below a grade of “C”.
· Complete a 1 – 1 ½ pages assignment (points deducted if the assignment is not the required length).
· It must include an introduction (2-3 sentences) and conclusion paragraph (2-3 sentences)
· Needs to have at least one supporting paragraph (3 – 4 sentences)
· Must be completed in either Microsoft Word or a notepad software (so comments and corrections can be done easily). Please note that MAC .pages files will not work!!
· Font & size: Ariel 11 or Times New Roman 11
· Line spacing: 1.5 or double spaced will be accepted
· Margins: 1″ all around
· Grading will be based on structure, grammar, etc. (refer to the Grading Rubric from the syllabus located on the next page )
· 2 points extra will be earned for an assignment handed in on time.
What has encouraged me to study ___________________ major offered in Sport and Exercise Science Department at Barry University? (add 2-3 supporting sentences)
The first moment of encouragement was __________________. (add 2-3 supporting sentences about this moment).
The second moment of encouragement was ___________________. (add 2-3 supporting sentences about this moment).
In conclusion, _____________ major will help me with _____________. (add 2-3 supporting sentences about this moment).
Reflective Writing Assignment is worth 25 points
|Ideas & Content
|• Exceptionally clear, focused, engaging with relevant, strong supporting detail||• Evident main idea with some support which may be general or limited||• Purpose and main idea may be unclear and cluttered by irrelevant detail||• Lacks central idea; development is minimal or non-existent|
|• Effectively organized in logical and creative manner with the required length (#pages)
• Creative and engaging intro and conclusion
|• Organization is appropriate, but conventional with less than required length (# pages)
• Attempt at introduction and conclusion
|• Lack of structure; disorganized and hard to follow without enough length (# pages)
• Missing or weak intro and conclusion
|• Lack of coherence; confusing; and short on the required page limit
• No identifiable introduction or conclusion
Sense of audience
|• Expressive, engaging, sincere
• Strong sense of audience
• Shows emotion: humor, honesty, suspense or life
|• Evident commitment to topic
• Inconsistent or dull personality
|• Writing tends to be flat or stiff
• Little or no hint of writer behind words
|• Writing is lifeless
• No hint of the writer
|• Precise, carefully chosen
• Strong, fresh, vivid images
|• Language is functional and appropriate
• Descriptions may be overdone at times
|• Monotonous, often repetitious, sometimes inappropriate||• Limited range of words
• Some vocabulary misused
|• High degree of craftsmanship
• Effective variation in sentence patterns
|• Generally in control
• Lack variety in length and structure
|• Often choppy
• Monotonous sentence patterns
• Frequent run-on sentences
|• Difficult to follow or read aloud
• Disjointed, confusing, rambling
Age Appropriate Spelling Punctuation Grammar
|• Exceptionally strong control of standard conventions of writing||• Control of most writing conventions; occasional errors with high risks||• Frequent significant errors may impede readability||• Numerous errors distract the reader and make the text difficult to read|
|Completion of Assignment||• Submitted on time (1 point)||• Submitted on time (1 point)||• Submitted 1 day late (half point)||• Submitted more than 1 day late (zero points)|
|Total Points Earned|
Revisions: In order to be an effective student and professional in your chosen major, you need to be able to express your thoughts clearly in a written manner. This means revisions might be required to ensure the correct information is being expressed in a positive manner.
– Corrections and re-writing maybe required to earn a passing grade if the quality of the Reflective Writing Assignment falls below a grade of “C”.
Writing Supports at Barry University
The writing lab information is located above the Weekly Learning Modules on Canvas. This is a great opportunity to help your writing and earn the highest grade possible on the Reflective Writing Assignments.
3 | Page