Assignment 3: Course Project: Part 1
For your course project, assume you have just earned your master’s degree in finance and are now employed by the Cosmo K Manufacturing Group. Your employment is contingent on your successful completion of several tasks over the next four weeks and the successful completion of a comprehensive exam to obtain company certification in finance. Each week, your supervisor, Gerry, will assign you projects of interest to the company that will test your competence in finance. Under these projects, you will be required to complete several specific tasks.
Tasks in Week 2 through Week 4 comprise the major parts of the course project and may be time consuming. You will be required to analyze several situations to help the company with its decision-making process. Accordingly, begin work on these portions of the course project prior to the week in which they are due. In Week 5, the last week of your probationary period, you will take the comprehensive exam.
The following is a summary of the weekly tasks for your course project:
|Week 1||You will conduct a ratio analysis and a trend analysis for a company of your choice, one which is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) or the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations (NASDAQ).|
|Week 2||You will evaluate several different types of investment opportunities available to the firm and address related questions of interest to the company.|
|Week 3||You will analyze how to increase the accuracy of a project’s cash flow forecasts. You will also evaluate the cash flows associated with a product.|
You will analyze two mutually exclusive projects that carry risk.
You will create a comprehensive final report that combines analysis done in the previous weeks, fully addressing the concerns of the company.
|Week 5||You will take a final comprehensive exam for company certification in finance.|
Gerry has decided that you need some experience in evaluating other firms in the marketplace. Accordingly, he has asked you to select any company listed on the NYSE or the NASDAQ. For your selected company, identify and download the most recent financial statements for the last three to five years, to include the following:
- Balance sheet
- Income statement
- Per share data
Gerry would like you to complete the following tasks and submit your report by the end of the week:
- Identify the predominant industry in which your company operates. Find the industry averages for that industry for the following ratios:
- Current ratio
- Debt ratio
- Quick ratio
- Debt-equity ratio
- Total asset turnover
- Profit margin
- Inventory turnover
- Return on assets
- Receivables turnover
- Return on equity
- Calculate as many of the listed ratios for your selected company as possible using the financial statements you acquired.
- Conduct a trend analysis for the last three to five years. What trends can you identify? What do they indicate?
- Compare the ratios for the last common year to the industry averages. What conclusions can you draw regarding your company’s performance? What are your company’s strengths and weaknesses?
- Identify the changes that need to be made by the company to improve its performance, as compared to the industry, on the basis of the ratios.
- Conduct a DuPont analysis for your selected company. What conclusions can you draw for improving your company’s performance on the basis of this analysis?
- Present the numerical data and calculations in a Microsoft Excel sheet and write the analyses in a Microsoft Word document.
- Name your Microsoft Excel sheet MBA6010_W1_A3_LastName_
FirstName.xls and Microsoft Word document MBA6010_W1_A3_
- Submit your assignment to the W1 Assignment 3 Dropbox by Saturday, July 30, 2016.
|Assignment 3 Grading Criteria||
|Correctly performed all required calculations (ratios, trend analysis, and DuPont analysis).||
|Interpreted the data and calculated values to draw the correct conclusions about performance and trends over the last three years.||
|Recommended measures to improve performance that logically follow from the analysis and interpretation of data.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||
Use a large company for the task. Your choice