The #MeToo and #TimesUp movement(s) are the most recent manifestations of a larger social movement that brings attention to the plight of women in the U.S. and around the globe. Mistreatment, sexual harassment, and assault of women in the workplace and other institutions like education are all too common. There clearly is a systemic sexism that permeates our society. Therefore, it is vital to address power, patriarchy, objectification, rape, and the ongoing oppression of girls and women.
Questions: Investigate the social problems raised by the #MeToo movement and its impact on our society by answering the following probing questions:
- Why do people (specifically women but also men) face backlash when speaking out against gender and sex based violence?
- How are people (specifically women but also men) silenced and to what ends?
- If it is “controversial” to even bring up power, patriachy, and privilege in the context of gender and sexual assault. Than we must ask, what can we do to eliminate sexual harrassment, rape, and other institutional forms of violence against young girls, women, and men?
Task: You are to write a minimum of 1 page discussing the age-old concerns addressed in the above questions. Provide 2 images (ex. memes, screen shots, social media, and other forms of media) that highlight your understanding of the #MeToo Movement. Write a descriptive and analytic take on the overall movement, centralizing your exact examples.
- Copy and paste your images into a separate page in your Word document and label the images (ex. Picture #1 and #2).
- The New York Times video: “Why Hasn’t Sexual Harassment Disappeared?” Link (Links to an external site.)