Track and Topic Sociocultural Influences: social and cultural contributions to the development of psychological disorders
1. What is the title of the article? Provide a reference for the article in APA format.
Mueller, D. R., Schmidt, S. J., & Roder, V. (2013). Integrated psychological therapy: effectiveness in schizophrenia inpatient settings related to patients’ age. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 21(3), 231-241.
2. What is the purpose of the article?
The article investigated whether the Integrated Philological therapy is more effective in younger patients of ages 40 and above. The authors then compared the effectiveness of IPT of young patients with that of average years of 40 and above. The study also investigated whether treatment as usual or unspecified group activities produce different outcomes.
3. What is the hypothesis of the study? In other words, what claims do the authors make in the article? What are the outcomes of the study, that is, the conclusions that the authors made as a result of the study?
There are no differences in the effectiveness of Integrated Psychological therapy between a group of younger patients (age 40 and below) and that of the average years (ages 40 and above). The study also hypothesized that there no differences in the treatment outcome of the group of younger patients (age 40). The study also assessed there were differences in the treatment outcome of the group of older patients (age 40 and above) treated using specified and unspecified treatment.
4. What variables (factors) are being looking at as an influence on abnormal behavior?
The study investigated the influences of age (variable) and the use of Integrated Psychological Treatment on the treatment of schizophrenia. Another variable was the treatment options (Unspecified and Specified treatment). Other variables include the global cognitive scores, social cognition, psychopathology and social functioning.
5. If these variables or the relationship between these variables have been studied before, what have other studies found? This shows historical significance.
Past studies have shown the effect of age on Schizophrenia. Older people suffering from Schizophrenia often suffer from cognitive impairment compared to younger patients. There are fewer therapy approaches to middle and averagely mentally ill patients.
6. Describe the research design (e.g., descriptive, correlateional, experimental) that was used in the study.
Standard meta-analytical procedures. The study compared category of two age groups. Had a total of 15 IPT controlled studies with 632 schizophrenic patients.
Yes. The study obtained ethical approval from the relevant authorities. The study also recruited participants after getting an informed consent from each study participants.