Statesmanship and Reform Analysis Paper Instructions
Thus far, this course has examined the decisions and actions of statesman who have been involved in the founding of a nation and leading it through crisis and disunity. This paper will require you to discuss the key statesmanship principles needed to reform a nation. It consists of 3 parts (below). These sections must be discussed in the order presented above and with appropriate headings
- Part 1:A summarization of biblical principles of government, leadership, and statesmanship relevant to reforming a nation and fighting injustice (1–1.5 pages);
- Part 2:An application of those principles to the decisions and actions of Wilberforce, Douglass, Susan B. Anthony, and Martin Luther King, Jr. (1-1.5 pages) and
- Part 3:Application of the statesmanship principles discussed in parts 1 and 2 to one germane issue in a contemporary context (1-2 pages).(The application is not a full blown case study as you read in Newell.The application links the principles and in Part 2 to a similar situation today.
In Part 2, remember to provide specific evidence (i.e., actions taken and decisions made) to explain how these leaders demonstrated the various attributes and principles discussed in Part 1.In doing all of this, keep in mind the following:
- While statesmanship is certainly about personal leadership skills, moral attributes, and vision, it must also include an understanding of how government actually works and should be structured.There are plenty of nice, honorable people who care for others but who do not possess an understanding of the inter-workings of government and the required structure needed for a government designed to figh injustice, prevent exploitation, and limit tyranny, particularly in reforming a nation.
- Thus, your discussion must include a conversation about the type of understanding needed by a statesman as it relates to government structure.The class readings and in particular, the class presentations for this week will be really helpful to that end.
- Your discussion must also focus on those statesmanship principles needed specifically for reforming a nation.As you will notice from the course, we discuss statesmanship in a variety of contexts.It could be that different statesmanship principles are needed for these different contexts.Therefore, make sure you are thinking specifically about the challenges of creating a nation based upon justice and liberty for this assignment.
- 3-5 pages, not including the title page or references page
- Citations from:
- 3–5 outside scholarly sources
- the “Leadership and Statesmanship” article
- Newell and Vaughan (2002) and the required reading and presentations for the week
PLEASE USE THE REFERENCES AND CITATIONS PLEASE
- The artlcles attached can be used as refernces as well.