“The Atlantic Age” which is an episode in the Africa’s Great Civilizations documentary series. Here are questions to answer based on your viewing of the film.
1. Which European nation started the transatlantic slave trade?
2. What was the role of sugar in the transatlantic slave trade?
3. Where did the first sugar plantations begin operations?
4. Who were the first laborers on the sugar plantations?
5. What was the estimated total number of Africans forcibly removed and shipped across the Atlantic Ocean during the transatlantic slave trade?
6. What were some of the types of roles women played during the era of the transatlantic slave trade?
7. Who was Njinga and who was Nana Asma’u and what was their significance?
8. What was the importance of Brazil to the transatlantic slave trade?
9. What was the significance of the Sokoto , Dahomey and Kongo kingdoms, who were their leaders and what role did these kingdoms play? Were they typical West African societies? How were they similar and how were they different?
10. What was the general impact on West Africa of the transatlantic slave trade?