This “protocol” is a 5-part study of a particular stage play (musical or non-musical). The choice of this is open to you. This essay is overdue for me and don’t have time to do it so just choose a play you know pretty well and follow the 5 sections/instructions below:
- Historical, cultural, and Social background of the play. (The time period it was created in)
- Relevant biographical information concerning the playwright, plus a history of the writing of the play, and assessment of its place in the author’s body of work.
- A critical history of the work, including a report on he textual problems (if any) of the original and an assessment of the major translations (if the play was written in a language other than English).
- A comprehensive critical analysis of the play, including the writer’s suggestions for a directorial-design concept for a new production. (“Concepts” will be provided in class)
- A comprehensive bibliography of materials on the play: editions, essays, articles, interviews, recordings, films, videos, etc.
Citation will be in MLA style. Margins are 1-inch on the top and bottoms of the pages. Required font: Times New Roman.