Online Current Events/Discussion Leader
For this assignment you will need to do the following:
- Select a current topic to present to the class via your specific canvas discussion forum (keep in mind who your audience is and what might generate a good discussion).
- Provide the class with a brief breakdown of the current topic (provide enough information for the class to have a meaningful discussion/answer you discussion questions).
- It is a good idea to use an article or articles, video, picture(s) or other valid source(s) here.
- Do not overload your participants with information initially. Be smart in how you present information, videos, images, etc. AND how you balance it with discussion questions to build and evolve the discussion on your topic.
- Pose a minimum of 3 discussion questions (throughout the discussion, not all at once) to generate online contribution. How you pose the questions and when will depend on the needs of your discussion and the participation you are getting from the class.
- With your information on the topic and discussion questions you will lead and navigate an online discussion for the class. Your goal is to make sure individuals in the class get to voice their thoughts and opinions in a meaningful and respectful way. We should all learn something and gain new perspective through this experience.
You will be assigned to a canvas current event discussion forum where you will post your topic and run your discussion. The forum will be open for 1 week. Your discussion should be ready to go at the start and you will be responsible for being highly active, present, and responsive in the forum for the entire week.
*The overall aim of this assignment is to give you exposure to leading/facilitating a group (large or small). You may find this helpful if you are ever a group leader, if you need to lead a meeting, become a teacher or find yourself in a teaching/seminar position among other possibilities. With the prominent use of technology as a vehicle for communicating these days, you may see this exercise as being helpful in a variety of ways and applicable to many aspects of your life.
Some things to keep in mind:
-Maintain your role as leader to manage any conflict, encourage critical thinking, and inspire contributions.
-Use language, information, and questions to build and maintain an open and respectful environment as well as to evolve the discussion to deeper, meaningful, and relevant levels.
-Connect participant thoughts