Slow Network Analysis Paper
Consider the following scenario regarding the Kelsey School District:
The student population trend is stable, however the number of students using networking services has increased by 20 percent annually. In addition, students and teachers are using their own wireless mobile devices to access the network including smart phones, wireless tablets, and laptops. Most of the supporting devices such as printers and scanners are wireless too.
The school district recently introduced a virtual collaborative environment so students can chat, file share, and conduct virtual meetings via VoIP and video.
To better safeguard the network, the district has had to segment the schools and central administration from each other through proxy servers, and employ an intrusion dedication system and a more sophisticated spam protection software.
In 2 to 3 pages, explain how one or more of the following items could affect the performance of a local area network (LAN):
· Increase in number of users
· Increase in the network nodes
· Use of peer-to-peer network
· Streaming video
· Introduction of wireless edge devices to network
· Voice over IP
· Increase in number of applications
Address these questions in your written response:
· What are expected differences in data transfer rates for those users on a wired LAN and those using wireless laptops?
· What issues should you consider in allocating and load balancing network resources?
· How is transmission control protocol (TCP) congestion control affected with an increase in the number of users? How would you mitigate any potential congestion problems?
· What quality of service (QoS) metrics would you collect to analyze and manage network performance? Why?