BCJ 2001 Unit II
You are tasked by your Police Chief to provide information to potential officer candidates going through the police academy about the importance of working with juvenile delinquents and the role the candidates will play as it relates to preventing and deterring delinquency acts. The chief has asked that you present this in PowerPoint and include the following information:
- Identify the strengths and limitations of police officer discretion when working with juvenile delinquents.
- Discuss the term community policing as it relates to not only protecting the public but also serving the public and the needs of juveniles.
- Discuss The Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) and the agency’s role in deterring juvenile delinquency through community policing initiatives.
- Discuss the characteristics, talents, and/or skills needed to successfully communicate and work with juveniles to help intervene and deter future delinquent behavior.
- Discuss the importance and the role of juvenile gang units in protecting the community and deterring juvenile violent behavior.
Your completed presentation should be at least seven slides, not including the cover and reference slides. At least one outside source should be cited and referenced in proper APA style. Use the slide notes function to explain the contents of the slide as necessary (not required).
BCJ 2501 Unit II
In this unit, we looked at the biological theories of crime. For this scholarly activity, you will explain four theories of crime from Chapters 3 and 4. Some of the biological theories focus on internal factors, such as low blood sugar, hormonal differences, and atavistic features.
In your explanation of each theory, include responses to the following items:
- Explain the basic concepts of the theory.
- How is the theory related to crime?
- Do you personally feel that the theory is acceptable as a potential reason for crime? Explain your answer.
- Is there research to substantiate this theory?
In accordance with APA style, format your scholarly activity with level one headings for each theory, and then answer the questions pertaining to that theory.
Your scholarly activity (a combination of all four theories) must be two pages in length, not counting the title and reference pages. You are required to use at least one outside source; however, you may need to use more in order to successfully complete this assignment. All sources used, including the textbook, must be cited and referenced.