- How is deviancy defined?
- Who defines what is deviant in a culture?
- What is formal and Informal deviance? (Give a couple of examples of each)
- What are the functional impacts of deviancy in a culture?
- List some of the key characteristics of deviance.
- What does Howard Becker mean when he said: Deviance is in the eyes of the beholder?
- What is meant by The Medicalization of deviance?
Watch the film Judgment at Midnight—You can access this film by Googling—(judgment atMidnight vimeo)a documentary that goes through the legal and personal impacts that applying the death penalty takes on all who are connected to the process of applying the Death Penalty. After viewing the documentary, answer the following questions:
- Why did Antonio James feel he was in prison for a crime he did not commit?
- What kind of defense did he get from his court appointed attorney?
- What role did plea-bargaining play in Antonio’s fate?
- How had warden Burl Cain changed from the time he assumed the job as warden at Angola Prison in Louisiana, to the point that he has a role in process of executing Antonio James?
- Where was Antonio raised and what role did his culture play in the shaping of Antonio in terms of his social interactions such as: family, education, peers, legal interactions, life chances, etc,
- Analyze the Death Penalty through the three lenses of sociology: Functionalism, Conflict Theory, and Symbolic Interaction.