you are expected to prepare a properly structured paper of 1,200-1,500 words that critically evaluates the following question and, where necessary, provide documented evidence to support the critique.
Define the meaning of federalism in terms of governing Canada. What are some of its advantages and disadvantages and identify and explain the powers and responsibilities of the federal and provincial governments in Canada.
Which of these powers and responsibilities are of most importance to you and why?
It is expected that students follow generally accepted norms of evidenced-based opinion writing and students are encouraged to be critical and provocative. This of course is contingent on your points being argued clearly, logically, and persuasively. All quotations should note the page of the article from which they are taken.
Since communication is an important managerial skill, a high standard of writing will apply for these assignments, including the format, footnotes, and references.
Specifically, each written assignment will be graded on the following criteria:
- – Clearly stated, creative, original and insightful
- – Presents a Point of View (POV) based on a critical analysis of factual evidence and
Background and Course Content
- – Contains relevant background information
- – Draws upon course text and lecture material
Research, Supporting Data and Analysis
- – Refers to a full range of relevant current resources (course materials, external sources), and other research
- – Uses relevant data, analyses and conclusions
- – Includes a critical analysis of the sources used
- – Are clear, creative, and insightful
- – Contain a clear, cogent reiteration of and support for the central points of the thesis
Writing Style and Essay Structure
- – Essay is very well organized
- – Central ideas are presented very clearly, cogently, and effectively
- – There is critical analysis and integration of ideas throughout the paper
Grammar and Mechanics
- – Inclusive of a separate title page
- – Minimal spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors
- – Type-written
- – Single-spaced
- – 12-pt Arial font
- – One-inch wide margins on all four sides
- – Written in MS-Word