For this assignment you will compose a well-written and thoughtful short-essay of 500-750 words in length (2-3 pages). Select and answer one of the four questions provided.
Format & Expectations
State your thesis, the answer you want to defend using at least three well-supported reasons embodying logic, reason, and research. Give possible objections to your arguments, answer these objections and restate your conclusion.Essays should include a Works Cited page following MLA Style. For grading expectations, please see the iRubric for this assignment in the Gradebook.
You must have credible, relevant research in all papers.
Answer one of the questions below in a well-written, thoughtful essay:
- Why, according to the “principle of equality” must one show that there are real differences rather than just surmise that they exist? [Be sure you are discussing this concept as it is used by John Rawls]
- Give arguments for or against the proposition that any form of genetic manipulation is “playing God”. Might there be forms that are acceptable such as fighting cancer?
- Agree or disagree with Kant’s thesis that acts that cannot be universalizable or that manipulating persons without their permission (you can choose one or the other, you need not do both) are wrong even if they bring about good results or consequences. Be sure to explain the role of a Good Will and duty.
- Compare Nietzsche’s notion of “will to power” with C. G. Jung’s insight Quoted in the following citation: “Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking.”
- MLA Sample Paper.pdf (147 KB)