Pre-Lab Report SheetLab Section: .
Modeling DNA Structure, Replication, & Protein Synthesis Exercise
Before coming to labs carefully read the previous pages on DNA Structure, DNA Replication, DNA Transcription, and RNA Translation then answer these pre-lab questions.Be prepared to hand in your responses to the pre-lab questions at the start of lab.
- Explain how it is possible for you to have so many different kinds of cells in your body (e.g.
- Explain in your own words your understanding of the central dogma of biology.
- Answer each of the following questions.
- What is the primary structure of a protein?
- Of what importance is the primary structure of a protein?
- What ultimately determines the primary structure of a protein?
- What is a mutation?During what process are mutations most likely to occur?
- Why do mutations affect the primary structure of a protein?
- Describe in your own words the structure of DNA.
- Describe in your own words how DNA makes copies of itself. (I.e. Describe DNA
- Protein synthesis involves two processes, transcription and translation. Describe in your
muscle cells, skin cells, liver cells, etc.) when nearly all of the cells contain the same 46 molecules of DNA (chromosomes).
own words how each process occurs.