By now, you have had the opportunity to explore some of the fundamental elements of your social issue of interest. In this written assignment, you will now focus your attention on identifying and analyzing the scope of scholarly literature that addresses the social issue. Specifically, you will access the Ashford University Library, in addition to other scholarly content from previous coursework that might be pertinent (e.g., textbooks, research articles, etc.), to find sources that examine theoretical perspectives and relevant research that pertain to your selected topic.
This assignment will require that you develop a research-based report demonstrating theory and research methodology related to your social issue.
In your paper
- Describe two to three theories that relate to your topic area in some manner. To accommodate the broad spectrum of social issues that might be explored, aim to find theories that attempt to explain some the following areas:
- The reason(s) for why the social issue exists or persists
- Factors that contribute to it
- Social, environmental, political, or economic considerations that underlie it
- Emerging alternative viewpoints that clarify the issue
- Critically evaluate the theories described, taking into account their benefits and limitations, as well as how health and human service organizations might use them to better understand the scope of the issue.
- Describe two to three examples of research studies that have explored the issue. These studies must come from their original source; do not rely on literature reviews that summarize research conducted by others. Studies can examine any area related to the issue with the exception of interventions, as this will be addressed in the Week Three assignment. Examples include:
- Exploring the social issueâ€™s impact on a specific group
- Identifying relationships between variables (Links to an external site.) (Trochim, 2006) related to the issue
- Examining social attitudes and viewpoints through survey research (Links to an external site.) (Trochim, 2006)
- Identifying emerging trends
- Exploring lived experiences or personal accounts using qualitative data (Links to an external site.) (Trochim, 2006)
- Analyze pertinent aspects related to the research studies, such as core aims/objectives, research methods used, findings, and implications for future research and/or practice.
The Theory and Research Related to Social Issue Paper
- Must be three to four double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least five scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.