In this discussion I want you to consider the following:
- Espionage and Seditions Acts during WWI
- Internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII
- McCarthyism and the Red Scare
- Pentagon Papers
1. To what extent should the personal liberties of American citizens be curtailed in order to protect the nation as a whole?
2. Do you agree with the national security arguments made for each of the above?
3. What lessons were learned from the above and can you see the same arguments playing out today?
Remember that you must provide a clear thesis to your answer and include specific historical details in support of your argument.