Application:Comparison â€” Cognitive-Behavioral and Short-Term Psychodynamic Therapies
As you think about how cognitive-behavioral therapies compare to short-term psychodynamic therapies, it is important to keep in mind their respective theoretical perspectives. Each has a different view of personality, human development, observable behavior, motivations, intervention strategies, and defined measurable outcomes. However, you will find there are also common features.
To prepare for this assignment:
- If necessary, review the Resources from Weeks 3 and 4 to refresh your understanding of the basic tenets of short-term psychodynamic therapy. Then think about basic perspectives of personality and psychopathology through the lens of short-term dynamic psychotherapy.
- Review the Resources from this week, thinking about the same issues through the lens of cognitive-behavioral therapy.
- Consider the similarities and differences between short-term psychodynamic and cognitive-behavioral therapies.
- Consider how these therapies (short-term dynamic psychotherapy and cognitive-behavioral) address the conceptualization of client issues and the selection of clinical interventions.
The assignment: (2â€“3 pages)
- Submit a paper comparing the similarities and differences between cognitive-behavioral and short-term psychodynamic therapies.
- Include in your comparison, issues concerning the role of the therapist, the presence or absence of “free choice,” the role of emotion, and the role of cognition.
- Having made the comparison, state what new insights you have about either or both therapies.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course. Keep in mind the importance of using empirically supported research to support your points of view.