Select one of the following scenarios:
- A psychologist is seeing a client in therapy. The client tells him she can no longer pay for sessions. You have been struggling to deal with the paperwork imposed by managed care and by your billing. You suggest that the client can work for you two days per week instead of paying for sessions.
- You are a professor at a local college. One of the students in your class is clearly distraught. You notice this and mention that you hope everything is okay. The student tells you that his wife recently left him and he is having difficulty coping with the situation. You talk to him for a few minutes and then leave for your office. At the next class, the student tells you how much he appreciated your concern. He states that he understands that you are a psychologist and asks for your card. The next day he calls your office for an appointment to see you.
- A client you are seeing has a house on St. Thomas. One day during a particular difficult session, the client suggests that you might enjoy a trip to St. Thomas and a stay at his villa on the ocean. You tell him that you really do not have any time for a trip but thank him for his offer. The next week, the client states that he will not take “no” for an answer and tells you that on your next vacation, you must let him know so that he can make certain that the villa is available.
- A close friend of yours is having difficulty with her teenage daughter. She knows you are a psychologist who specializes in adolescents. She asks if you would be willing to see her daughter for a few sessions to straighten her out.
Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper based on your selected scenario in which you examine the concept of dual relationships. As a part of your examination, be sure to address the following items:
- Define the concept of dual relationships.
- Analyze the dual relationships presented in your selected scenario. How is there a potential conflict?
- Discuss the ethical issues presented by these dual relationships. What ethical codes apply? What possible harm or difficulties might arise due the conflict? How would your resolve or conclude the issue?
- Explain the challenges presented by boundary issues in professional psychology.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.