Reisberg: Chapter 6—The Acquisition of Memories and the Working-‐‑Memory System
• What is acquisition? • What is storage? • What is retrieval? • Describe the information processing view of memory, and the components of
the Modal Model of Memory. • Describe the Serial Position curve. Define the primacy effect and recency
effect? Why do we see the primacy effect and recency effect (also demonstrated in one of the Workbook assignments this week)?
• What is the function of working memory? What is the capacity of working memory?
• Discuss the working memory system (the central executive, visuo-‐‑spatial buffer, and articulatory rehearsal loop).
• Compare/Contrast maintenance rehearsal and elaborative rehearsal. • Describe Depth (or Levels) of Processing. • Why do mnemonics improve memory?
Reisberg: Chapter 7—Interconnections Between Acquisition and Retrieval
• What is context-‐‑dependent learning? • Why does reinstating the context improve memory? • Define encoding specificity (also demonstrated in one of the Workbook
assignments this week). • Describe a basic memory network (nodes, links, and spreading activation).
According to this account of memory: (1) why are retrieval cues helpful? (2) Why does reinstating the context improve memory?, and (3) How does semantic priming work?
• Distinguish between explicit and implicit memory. • Describe the two types of explicit memory and the four types of implicit
memory outlined in Figure 7.13
Reisberg: Chapter 8—Remembering Complex Events
• What is an intrusion error? • Describe the DRM procedure. Why does this procedure lead to false
memories (demonstrated in the ZAPS this week)? • What is a schema? How can relying on a schema produce a false memory? • What is the impact of using leading questions (Loftus and Palmer, 1974)? • Is confidence a good indicator of accuracy? Why or why not? • Describe the following causes of forgetting: (1) decay, (2) interference
theory, and (3) retrieval failure.
• What is autobiographical memory? • Describe the self-‐‑reference effect. • How does emotion influence memory? • What is a flashbulb memory? Are they accurate? • What is the reminiscence bump?